About the Choir
In 2017 the Eastcote Choral Society changed its name to the Eastcote and Ruislip Choral Society, reflecting the fact that we rehearse in Ruislip (although we perform in Northwood Hills.) It also enables us to raise funds in Ruislip and recognises the generous support we receive from Ruislip businesses in particular.
The Eastcote and District Choir gave their first concert on Saturday 14th December 1946. There were 70 sopranos, 38 altos, 15 tenors and 24 basses. It took place at the Pinner County School, Beaulieu Drive, Eastcote. They sang Handel’s Messiah with part of the Pinner Orchestra, led by Gwendolen Stocken and the conductor was Millicent Ward, ARCM.
The choir was renamed Eastcote Choral Society in 1970. The choir has had several conductors and taken part in concerts with other choirs in the UK and abroad. In 2006 it celebrated it's 60th Anniversary with a programme which included Handel’s Messiah.
Robert Jones became Musical Director in 2009 and with accompanist Laurence Frankel, is expanding the repertoire.
Since then we have sung works as diverse as Joseph Horowitz’s Captain Noah and his Floating Zoo, Haydn’s Creation and Samuel Coleridge-Taylor’s Hiawatha’s Wedding Feast.